Why we need to demand MORE of our celebrity 'tweeps' @jimparedes @gangbadoy

The following comment was posted on Get Real Post addressed to moi:
People on twitter just point things out. They make jokes because they can and there is no reason not to. No one is trying to influence anyone or sell anything. I suppose you expect everyone to pull out Polsci textbook for their 140 characters? Yeah, that’s the right way of doing things.

And no one is debating anything, get off your high horse.

People on twitter just point things out. They make jokes because they can and there is no reason not to. No one is trying to influence anyone or sell anything. I suppose you expect everyone to pull out Polsci textbook for their 140 characters? Yeah, that's the right way of doing things.

And no one is debating anything, get off your high horse.

Here is my response in all the usual brilliance everyone has come to expect of me:
Yes I am on a high horse at the moment -- because I point things out better than most, and I do it properly applying a willingness to challenge both the popular and the adored (because I am not encumbered by the baggage of cozy personal relationships over these social networks) on a communications medium that forces me to be structured and coherent in the way I present my ideas.

Because I am not a celebrity I am compelled to build my credibility on the back of consistency that stands the test of time and substance that stands the test of scrutiny. Compare those stringent standards to those that the public routinely applies to celebrities -- people who can command an audience simply by acting stupid in front of a camera or on stage.

That, dude, is why I have crowned myself the Rock Star of Da Pinoy blogosphere.

That said, I did say that there is nothing necessarily wrong with joking around on Twitter and making the albeit lame assumption that these people do so for the mere purpose of "pointing things out". It is a nice pasttime. But then, again as I said, do it once too often and it starts to come across as moronic -- specially coming from people who, because they have more, are expected to be more than the standards they stoop to just because they can.

Next question please.

Comments

Popular this week

Leni Robredo has become a sad mechanical puppet and an embarrassment to Filipinos

Response to Sass Rogando Sasot: Duterte has supporters who are not blind beholden emos

Jo Lapira: youth wasted on Joma Sison's bankrupt communist ideology

The sound of a #Tagalog convo: 'like chickens and hens cackling in unison'