Now After the Yolanda Tragedy, What should the Government Do Next?
BACKGROUND SCENARIO: FILIPINO PEOPLE is not ACCUSTOMED on DISASTER MANAGEMENT:
1. Most of the Filipino Culture always rely on "BAHALA NA" , "MAMAYA NA" and "BUKAS NA".
2. Most of the Filipinos are NOT AWARE on DISASTER TERMINOLOGIES like "STORM SURGE vs. TSUNAMI , SUPER TYPHOON vs. SIGNAL no. 3 etc.
3. FILIPINO PEOPLE always rely on HELP. THEY ALWAYS CALL FOR HELP. NEVER STAND AND PREPARE FOR WORST.
4. FILIPINO PEOPLE are NOT EQUIP with ADVANCE Warning Systems and Response in Calamity.
I mentioned these things because I want that the Government should look on the causes on why these YOLANDA and other Calamity related incidents causes thousand lives lost despite of perceived preparations and efforts.
They always recommend to prepare evacuation and relief goods but these preparations is not enough to meet the sudden changing dangers of climate change.
Encourage Congressman and Senators to look into revision and make new LAWS in Regarding DISASTER PREPAREDNESS. Make a DISASTER BILL OF PHILIPPINES to address the problem stated above. FILIPINO PEOPLE IS NOT WELL EDUCATED on DISASTER PLANNING and IMPLEMENTATION.
TRAINING WITH COURSE CERTIFICATES for a 3 days to 1 week of training to achieve a Course Disaster Preparedness Achievement or let say A yearly FIRE DRILL is NOT ENOUGH to influence the FILIPINO PEOPLE to become prepared it should START on Level of Preparatory (Elementary-HS, to Undergraduates) to Graduate Level of Education and lastly on Working Professional Fields.
A LAW SHOULD Mandate the Department CHED, PRC, and DOH alike. SHOULD FOCUS ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. QUARANTINE OR INFECTION INCIDENT FEATURES AND PROTOCOL
2. EARTHQUAKE LIKE, VOLCANIC ERUPTION PROTOCOL
3. WAR RELATED and NUCLEAR FALL OUT PROTOCOL
4. TSUNAMIS AND STORM SURGE PROTOCOLS
5. FIRE RELATED PROTOCOLS
6. MAN-MADE VIOLENCE CONFLICT PROTOCOLS
7. EVACUATION PROTOCOL
8. SURVIVAL PROTOCOL AFTER THE EVENT
9. POST TRAUMA DE-BRIEFING PROTOCOLS
10. COMMUNICATION SYSTEM PROTOCOLS
THESE SHOULD BE INTRODUCED ON THE CURRICULUM STARTING ON the PREPARATORY LEVEL, INTERMEDIATE, UNDERGRADUATE, GRADUATE LEVEL INCLUDING PROFESSIONALS AND LGU AS A SUBJECT COURSE.
PREPARATORY LEVEL: Grades 1-7 as PART OF THEIR SUBJECT EVERY SEMESTER
1. Introduction to Disasters and Kinds of Disasters
2. Survival and Communication during time Disasters
3. Simulation of Disaster Situation
4. Universal Sanitation Protocols
5. Communication Lines to Call during Disasters
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL: HIGH SCHOOL YEAR 1-5
1. Leadership Training on Disaster Management
2. Responsibility of a Member as a Disaster Committee
3. Intermediate Basic Life Support Protocols
4. Basic Health Hygiene Protocol and Introduction Quarantine
5. Advanced Survival Protocols during and after Disasters
6. Basic Nuclear Fall-out protocols
7. Advance Communication Protocols
UNDERGRADUATE: This will depend on the Specialization
1. NURSING – DISASTER NURSING PROTOCOLS
2. DENTRISTRY – EMERGENCY DENTRISTRY (MAXILO FACIAL REMEDIES)
3. MED TECH – IMPROVISED LABORATORY MANAGEMENT DURING DISASTERS AND WATER SANITATION
4. VETENERARY MEDICINE – ADVANCE PROTOCOL IN ANIMAL MANAGEMENT DURING DISASTERS AND OUTBREAKS
Other Science Fields:
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING -IMPROVISED WATER PUMP SYSTEMS DURING
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING – ELECTRICAL GENERATOR DURING DISASTERS
CIVIL ENGINEERING – REPAIR AND IMPROVISED SHELTER DURING DISASTER
COMPUTER AND IT – ADVANCE COMMUNICATION TRANSMISSION DURING
DISASTERS AND WEBSITE/PROGRAM
FOR LOST AND FOUND EXAMPLE
1. Advance Disaster Management
2. Advance Quarantine Management
3. FOOD SANITATION PROTOCOLS – NUTRITION
1. LEARDERSHIP MANAGEMENT
2. PHASES OF DISASTER AND CYCLE OF DISASTER
NON- PROFESSIONALS AND WORKERS:
1. ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOR DURING DIASATERS
2. KINDS OF DISASTER MANGEMENT
3. DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
WHAT HAPPENED ON YOLANDA ALL OF THE PEOPLE OF TACLOBAN BECOME VICTIMS and the only RESORT to SURVIVE was TO CALL FOR HELP.
1. The Government should push to a Law and establish a DISASTER BILL
2. Educated and Non Educated People should be not innocent on Disaster Preparedness
3. Every Specialization should move and cooperate during disaster.
4. THE DISASTER IS NOT LIMITED to EARTHQUAKES OR STORM, There can be a man made violence or riots, Infection Outbreaks and possible Nuclear Fall-out.
The Nation Needs Disaster Management Leaders, and do not rely on Appointee or by experience, we should have a course to address these problems.