#Filipino-American balikbayan visiting the #Philippines baffled by blatant colonial mentality!


I'm in Manila right now. I'm a 1.5 generation immigrant to the U.S., and it is my first time back after 11 years. I'm basically American in every way, but I understand and speak Tagalog. I haven't been wearing makeup due to the heat, and my attires have been low-key ie just been wearing dresses to combat the oppressive heat.

My point is, I'm not the type of balikbayan who scoops up department store discounts. I've been to a couple of stores, and I'm guessing due to my appearance (I hiked Mt. Pulag and I'm quiet DARK), none of the assistants would give me the time of day. Same in restaurants, I've had to seek out the host to ask for a table. What gives? It's not until I speak in perfect American English that I'm treated like a person. I didn't experience this in the provinces. Just in the capital. So despite being fluent in Filipino, I've been speaking almost exclusively in English just so service workers will give me the time of day.

Sorry that was long-winded, but this type of behavior is unacceptable. The Filipino tries to promote an image of humility and hospitality overseas, but they can't even treat their own people with respect. Even the passport control officer gave me the stink eye for presenting my Philippine passport and speaking in English (sorry I spoke out of habit? It's been about a decade after all).

How is the Filipino supposed to contribute to the world if they discriminate against their fellow Filipino?

---------------
This is a GRP Featured Comment. Join the discussion!
http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2015/06/do-filipino-immigrants-really-contribute-to-the-greatness-of-the-united-states-and-other-countries/#comment-1176457

Comments

Popular this week

Leni Robredo has become a sad mechanical puppet and an embarrassment to Filipinos

Response to Sass Rogando Sasot: Duterte has supporters who are not blind beholden emos

Jo Lapira: youth wasted on Joma Sison's bankrupt communist ideology

Jose Rizal never had Tagalog in mind when he encouraged us to love our own language